Saturday, February 19, 2011

Hallway Coat Closet

In our new house we have a closet by the entrance door from the garage to the kitchen. Very normal "mud room" area without actually being a mud room. Someday I'd actually like a mud room. Anyhow, this is what it looks like.Yes, it looks empty because I haven't put everything in there yet. Well, the Container Store was having their annual 30% off on their Elfa closet systems, and I was really dying to do that. I got an estimate and it was still too steep for me. $450 including installation. I just can't spend that much on a closet. So, I wish it were like this:Gorgeous! Please excuse that it is a bedroom closet, but you get the idea. However, I decided to get creative and make it work without breaking the bank. Here's how it turned out: A small shoe rack from Wal-mart, hooks on the side wall for the kids coats and backpacks, and hooks at the top for my bags and umbrellas. And on the right side of the closet:These little drawer units I also found at Wal-mart for pretty cheap (can't remember now how much they were) and each is for a member of our family for hats, mittens, gloves, goggles, shin guards, baseball mitts, etc. And the 6th drawer on the bottom right is my "To Go" drawer. That's where I put anything I need to take with me somewhere. Anything I need to return to the store, anything I've borrowed from someone that needs to be returned, etc. etc. You get the idea. Oh, and for a splash of color, I added those floor mats to ensure nothing slides around my slippery wooden floor.

So there we have it! From a potential $450 for beauty and functionality, to about $50 for functionality and sub par beauty. By hey, those closet doors are always closed!

8 comments:

  1. Me too, AM! I espeically like your "go to" drawer. I need something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! I have cubbies for each person too (but in hallway) It makes a great place to also put all those little things you find around the house that they leave!
    Thanks so much for linking it to my Organizing Mission link party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I love your closet it is so big! Our house is older and our entry closet is like a small hole in the wall :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anne Marie! I found your blog through Jackie's. It's a small world! You have a lovely family. And you are inspiringly organized!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, AM!! I also really like the "go to" drawer. I always forget what I need when I run errands, and it's just a mess all around my room. I really wish you could organize our new apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of little cubbies for each person. That gives me an idea for my very messy coat closet. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete